My "Eid Mubarak" Flower Gifts - 30 Day Craft Challenge
Salam, as mentioned on my previous blog post - we're all about Eid preparations now! The last week of Ramadan has been quite the whirlwind. I wish I was able to get these crafts out to you way earlier for Eid, but hopefully, if you don't have time to do them now, you can try some of these for the next Eid - or next year!
This craft corresponds to Day 26 of our Craft Challenge. Today we learned a little about chromatography, mixing colours, and the spirit of giving, all in one craft! We used coffee filters and food colours to make these amazingly vibrant flower favours/gifts. My children were so amazed at how they were able to mix colours and then see them spread all over the coffee filters. The most amazing thing was that they could make these colourful papers into a flower! Browse below to see how we were able to make these flowers to add to all of our Eid Mubarak Gifts.
- Food colours
- Coffee filters
- Water in a cup
- Paint brushes
- Liquid droppers (optional)
- Pipe cleaners - we used green for the stem
- Palette to mix colours (or small bowls)
- Spray bottle with water
Here's what we started with
- Place a sheet of wax paper or plastic - something water proof under your coffee filter
- Spray the filter with water to moisten the filter
- Use your dropper or paintbrush to add colour. You can dilute the food colour in water, mix various colours or use the food colour directly for a very vibrant result
Mix colours, see them spread over the filter - so fun!
- Once you've filled the entire coffee filter - place aside to dry. We placed ours outside in the sun for a very quick dry
They were blowing away in the wind so we placed rocks on them while they dried
- Once dry, you can cut the filter into a flower shape. First fold the coffee filter in half, then half again, and again, and then a 4th time. Then cut the tip of the folded filter into any shape - diagonal, wavy, pointy.
Such a cool result!
- Open up the filter and see the beautiful flower shape!
Here are our flower shapes
- Now you can add your pipe cleaner to make the stem - bunch up the bottom portion of the flower and wrap your pipe cleaner around it.
Hadi's finished product!
- Alternatively, you can make a cone shape but cutting the diameter of the filter and rolling it to give you a cone shape.
- Your "Eid Mubarak" flower is ready for gifting!
So many different colours!
Add them to a mason jar or vase for a beautiful look
I hope this craft brightens your mood and brings joy and colour into your lives! Stay tuned as I post the rest of the activities/crafts for the Craft Challenge. Only 4 more to go! Eid Mubarak!