We Pray Towards the Ka'ba - 30 Day Craft Challenge
Salam crafting family, here's what I came up with for Day 6. Today, this mama was feeling slightly burnt out so I kept the craft super simple. It was a refreshing change and the result was fantastic! The lesson associated with our craft was highlighting the fact that, as Muslims, we pray towards the Holy Ka'ba. I had a chat with them about the origin of the Ka'ba and that it is widely known as the "House of Allah".
With this craft, kids are able to perform a wonderful art activity (with minimal parental help) and learn an important lesson as well. This activity required some trial and error on my part but I'm quite happy with what we came up with. Scroll down and take a look!
- White paper - thick paper like card stock for best results, but any white paper will do
- Streamers, 2-5 colours ideally
- A black square cut out of construction paper (approx 7cmx7cm)
- White school glue
- Something to decorate the Ka'ba (we used gold adhesive paper)
- Hand Sanitizer
- A spray bottle with water inside
- Paint brush
- Set up your streamers on the paper as you wish them to appear on your design
- In order to hold them down, spray some water through your spray bottle
- Squirt some hand sanitizer over the artwork
- Use the paintbrush to spread it all over, making sure that you cover the entire paper with the hand sanitizer (it should appear wet)
- Set a timer for at least 3 minutes and allow the colours to bleed through
- Lift up the streamers slightly to see if the colours have spread onto your paper
- If you are satisfied with the colours, lift up and remove all the streamers and discard
- Allow the paper to dry (about 15 minutes)
- Using the school glue, paste the black square onto the paper, representing the Ka'ba
- Decorate the square with yellow or gold
- You may add any text you like on this paper with a marker, or leave it blank
- If you like, ask your children to keep it with them when they perfom Salaat in order to remind them which direction they are praying towards.
- This is such an easy craft, you can repeat it as many times as you like!
|Super easy supply list|
|Start arranging the streamers to make a design|
|This was Hadi's design|
|Here's Hani's design|
|Spray some water to hold the streamers in place|
|Start squirting some hand sanitzier|
|It needs to be all wet!|
|Use your paintbrush to make sure all of the streamers are covered evenly|
|Make sure you let it soak in for 3-5 minutes|
|Now the fun part: check to see if the colours are coming through|
|Lift it all off!|
|Here's what it might look like|
|Let this dry for about 15 minutes|
|Hadi was so happy with the results|
|We included it in our prayers today and it gave our prayers a new life!|
And that's it for today, folks! It's a short and sweet activity that you can do without breaking a sweat. I know its not much but it had a wonderful impact on myself and my kiddos. I hope you are able to do this with your kids. Please post a picture on Instagram if you do - don't forget to tag and follow me @WishfulWaufa. Would love to hear some feedback as well - please comment below!