Salam all! Welcome to our Day 9 blog post. Here in the Greater Toronto Area, we finally got a day of gorgeous weather after waiting many, many, months. It goes without saying that we spent the majority of the day soaking in the sun. However, I did want to fit in a very short and sweet (literally) activity.
This activity brings on a discussion about the importance of dates in our religion and culture. There are many traditions that state that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) used to open is fasts with dates. I wanted to introduce this dry fruit to my children and allow them to celebrate its importance, especially in the month of Ramadan. In order to do this, we made tiny date gift baskets. Given the physical distancing situation in our communities, we weren't able to pass on these gifts to our friends and family yet. But I do pray that in future years, we are able to include these little favours in our regular visits to loved ones.
We distributed these little date baskets among ourselves in the household and the kids got a little kick out of it. Take a look below at how we were able to put them together.
- Single hole punch or scissors
- Mini tart pans - we found them at the Dollar Store (7.9cm x2.5cm)
- Pipe cleaners (also known as chenille stems)
- Tissue wrap - cut into a square about 13cmx13cm
- Some ribbon
- Approximately 5 dates
- Use your single hole punch (or scissors) to make 2 holes in the tart pan - adjacent to each other
- Take the pipe cleaner and wrap one end in one hole and the other end in the other hole
- Place your tissue wrap on top of the tart pan and press in place
- Now place your dates into the pan - try to allow them to lean against the tart pan for a decorative look
- Wrap your ribbon around the tart pan and tie a bow - this will be the finish touch.
- Distribute your Mini Date Baskets to loved ones!
- Optional: you can attach a note with the dua of opening the fast, or a narration of our Prophet (peace be upon him) about opening our fasts with a date.
|Here's what you'll need|
|Made two holes as you can see|
|Insert the pipe cleaners and fold over|
|Place your piece of tissue in the mini tart pan|
|And then your choice of dates|
|And voila! The perfect little gift|
Thanks for viewing today's blog entry and I hope you're enjoying the content! I have several ideas flowing through my mind that I cant wait to include in this challenge. Join me again tomorrow. Take care!